Tuesday, December 28, 2010

SCONES!!

I had to make an emphasis on scones because... well, no one has ever made me scones. I was kind of baffled at the idea of making them at home.The best scones I have ever had are at Mill Mountain Coffee in Blacksburg. Oh my gosh are they delicious. I was hoping these would compare and I do believe they come close.

Not only are these very easy to make but it's also really fun to try something new now and again!

And yes, this is from PW's cookbook as well... I'm so obsessed.

Before I start, you must remember how new I am at this so I am missing lots of pictures (I get way too excited to take a break!) Plus, my camera sucks (hint, hint mom.)



Now, to start making these delicious treats combine your flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
FYI: I halved this recipe---8 scones is way too many for people who are about to go to Miami and need to look good in bathing suites.

When you've whisked all of that together cut in the butter with a pastry blender---I recommend NOT buying a cheap pastry cutter. Mine really, REALLY sucks.



You should cut the butter into the dry mix until the entire mixture is crumbly and the butter is about pea sized.




After this, chop up your pecans if they aren't chopped already, they should be chopped pretty fine. Then add them to the mixture.

Next, mix together your egg and heavy cream in a separate bowl then add it to the dry/buttery mix. Make sure not to stir this very much, you really want to just combine the ingredients, kind of like muffins if you've ever made those before.



When the ingredients are all together, and yes, the mix should still be pretty crumbly, dump it onto a cutting board. Then, push your dough into a slight ball but make sure not to knead or handle it too much. If you do, gluten will develop and your scones will not be light and fluffy.

PW used a rolling pin to flatten her dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle. I found that way too difficult with the dough being so crumbly so I just used my hands. Plus, like I said, I halved the recipe so that made it a little harder as well I believe.

Once you've made your circle cut it into a pie (8 slices if you make the full recipe; 4 slices if you half it) then move to a cooking sheet that has been sprayed with Pam or some sort of nonstick stuff.



Bake for about 22 minutes. You want the scones to be just barely golden brown.

Barely golden brown like this!


Once your scones have cooled you can whip up your icing.

This is so easy! Just mix all of the icing ingredients together (listed below) and then just pour them over the scones. Add some pecans to the top for eye-appeal and let cool some more.



Once the icing has set, simply just serve! Hope you enjoy!!

The maple-y, coffee-y flavor of this icing really makes these scones what they are! So scrumptious!




PW's Maple Pecan Scones
Serves 8

Ingredients:
Scones:
3 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
5 tsp baking powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled
1/4 c pecans, chopped
1 large egg
3/4 c heavy cream

Maple Icing---so delicious:
1 lb powdered-sugar
1/4 c whole milk
4 tbsp butter, melted
Splash of strong coffee
Dash of salt
2 tsp maple flavoring (I used maple syrup)

Directions:
Starting with the scones, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Then, cut in the cold butter using your pastry cutter until the butter is in fine, pea-sized pieces. The mixture should be crumbly.
Next, finely chop the pecans and add them to the mixture.
In a separate bowl, combine the egg and heavy cream, then add to the dry mixture. Stir these together just barely combining.
Then, turn onto a cutting board and form a large ball using your hands. Do not need or press. Once this is done, use a rolling pin to gently roll the dough into a 10 inch round, 3/4 inch thick circle. Now, you can cut 8 pie slices in the dough.
Place the slices on a greased cooking sheet and bake for 22-26 minutes on 350.
The scones will be done with they are just barely golden brown on the edges.
Allow the scones to completely cool while you prepare the icing.
For the icing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Then, once the scones are cool, pour the icing over the scones. Let the icing set on the scones and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment